Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Near me there is this super cute yarn shop called Crazy for Ewe (seriously, how can you not love a name like that?)  which I made a point to visit on "Small Business Saturday" this past Thanksgiving weekend.  My mom and I went after a trip to another favorite shop of mine, Material Girls.  I have been getting into quilting recently and had just impulsively bought a quilt pattern and fabrics to make a quilted Christmas wall hanging.  My mother was nicely giving me grief about adding another project to my miles-long project list when she spied a skein of gorgeous hand-dyed wool yarn.  And promptly told me I needed to knit her something to give a good friend of hers for Christmas, because this yarn was "just perfect" for her.

Ah, how many projects I've begun simply because the yarn was "just perfect."

Of course, I couldn't say no because it is my mother, and she had a good point - this yarn was just perfect for the woman in question.

As we continued to browse the store, I turned the yarn over in my hands trying to picture the perfect scarf to knit with this.  I wanted something simple yet not boring.  Conveniently there were patterns for sale right at the register and one of them was exactly what I was looking for - a simple rib knit scarf dressed up with a lacy ruffle at the bottom.

I just love the colors in the yarn.  Half the fun in knitting this scarf was watching how the colors unfolded!

The best part about this project for me is that the recipient is an old friend of my mom's who knitted her a poncho for me when I was a baby, so in a way the knitting came full circle on this!  She absolutely loved it and as she lives near NYC it's been put to good use during this cold winter.

2 comments:

  1. Those colors are gorgeous! I too have a pile of yarns purchased for that reason...and a very long project list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love the colors! AND THE RUFFLE!!! You need to knit more ruffles!!

    ReplyDelete