Tuesday, April 19, 2011

This winter, thanks to friends and Facebook, I found out about a really great cause - Scarves for Special Olympics.  Through this program knitters and crocheters all over the country can make scarves as a gift of welcome for Special Olympics athletes competing in the winter games.  Talk about warm fuzzies!

I set myself a lofty goal of six scarves, but only ended up with three, since I was only able to start on them in January and they had to be sent in the second week of February.  However, the colors for the 2012 games should be released any day now, and I'm hoping with this head start I'll be able to knit at least six for next year!

2011's colors were Turqua and Blue in Red Heart Super Saver yarn.  I knit two using Red Heart's Easy Knit Scarf pattern, which was super quick to knit and resulted in a really pretty lacy scarf.  The third one I made using a basketweave pattern.  I attempted a fourth scarf (not shown) but got a little overly ambitious and tried to knit in the year, the Special Olympics logo and their motto, "Be A Fan."  Note to self: when dealing with a time crunch it's best not to go for something complicated...

Finished scarves

All packed up and ready to ship!

My finished scarves went to Special Olympics Maryland.  Click here to view photos from their winter games, including several photos of the athletes getting their scarves!  There's even a shot of the athletes representing Charles County coming into the opening ceremonies. :)  Of course there is no way to tell which one is wearing "my" scarf, but I'd like to think at least one of the lacy scarves you see in the pictures came from me.

I'm very much looking forward to finding out the 2012 colors and knitting again for next winter's games!

If you'd like to take part, visit Scarves for Special Olympics or "like" them on Facebook by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to see what I can make for next year too.

    ReplyDelete